Virtual Reality Pong

My project aims to create a simple, but entertaining virtual reality game. I plan to create a game, similar to the classic arcade game of Pong, that can be played in three dimensions, and controlled by a user’s google cardboard. The aim of this game is to create something that is simple enough that anyone can enjoy it, while also creating a new twist on a simple concept that allows people to explore virtual reality. In order to do this I am using Unity and Google cardboard. My personal goals for this project are to experiment with Google cardboard, learn how to use Unity, and learn how to deploy a game onto a mobile device and make it work with Google cardboard.

My minnimum goal is to create a working game using Unity. I am confident that I can learn how to use Unity well enough to create the game I have in mind for my project.

My target goal is to turn my game into a working Google cardboard app. Once my minnimum goal of creating a game is reached, I need to figure out how to deploy it on my phone and turn it into a polished app that will run on Google cardboard. This is the next step above my minnimum goal, but I still feel that it should be completely doable.

My stretch goal is to turn my single player virtual reality pong game into a multiplayer game in which two players can face off against each other by each wearing their own Google cardboard headset. While I think this would be an interesting extra step for my project, I think that making this into a multiplayer game is a step above my initial plan due to the fact that I have never used Unity before, or made any type of mobile app, or anything that works with cardboard. If I can reach my targer goal ahead of schedule however, looking into a way to connect the game to multiple phones, possible via bluetooth would be my next step.

What I have done so far:

I started off by downloading and begining to learn about using Unity. Once I learned some basics, I created the basic structure for my game. I created a three dimensional playing area that consisted of two walls on either side, a ceiling, and a floor. Within this area are a paddle on either end, and a ball. I turned the ball into a rigidbody so that it bounces off of the walls and wrote a script that makes it move. I also wrote a script that allows you to move the user paddle. This script still needs to be fixed because currently the paddle can move through the walls, and eventually I will want it to be controlled by the headset and not the keyboard. I also recently added some color to the walls, paddles, and ball. The paddles are now slightly transparent so that they don’t block the view of the ball.

 

pongGameImage

Advertisements
This entry was posted in assignments, Project 2.1. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s